eCommerce outsourcing; Should you consider it for your business?
Just this week I’ve met with two businesses that have been around for quite some time. Successful businesses in their own right, but they’ve never done any business online. Over the years I’ve built many ecommerce sites utilzing open source products such as osCommerce, Zend, and a fairly new shopping cart system from Magento which is gaining market share very rapidly. Back in the day I set up CGI based ecommerce forms that would generate an order number, but nothing like what today’s open source shopping cart tools offer.
Do you have a brick and mortar business? And have never tried e-Commerce. If you’re like many small to medium size business owners, you’re probably intimidated, scared, or just don’t know the right questions to ask. Here’s why I think ecommerce outsourcing can be a win-win for the brick and mortar store or business with product to sell:
- No huge out of pocket expense to the business owner
- Performance based relationship – If the marketing company you work with does not perform, they don’t get paid
- Shared risk by both the business owner and marketing company managing shopping cart
- Business owner is freed up from having to learn everything there is to learn about ecommerce and online marketing
- Reduced time to market and performance
There are many companies that can manage just the marketing side of the equation, and other companies that can handle the shopping cart side and all the minute details associated with setting up your ecommerce website. Search Engine Pro can handle them both.
If you’re thinking of setting up an ecommerce site for the first time, and possibly outsourcing your shopping cart management and/or online marketing give us an opportunity to see if we might be a good match for your product line. If we’re not interested, we’ll tell you right up front. We’ll also be happy to share with you our 10+ years of knowledge in working with ecommerce websites and online marketing.