I’ve been getting some calls recently that I had missed. Caller ID shows the calls as Google, Inc. coming from Michigan. While I know Google has a call center in Michigan, the caller could not give me any verification that he was in fact with or calling from Google.
The caller had the last four digits of my clients account and had some information of what was in the account. But here’s the rub, he said he was here to help me with some account changes, but kept insisting that I do a screen share with him… essentially giving him remote access to my computer. I kept telling him no, I was not comfortable with giving him remote access to my computer.
He went along as I walked through account and made a few changes. I told him I needed his help with another account so he insisted again for the sake of saving time that I give him remote access / screen share so he can make the changes at which point I terminated the phone call.
Here are some key points regarding calls from Google Adwords Support:
- As of September 10, 2020 if you call Google Adwords support you’ll get a message saying phone support for Google Adwords support is not currently available and you’ll be advised to use online support options.
- When I told the person on the phone that Google corporate is stating on their own phone messaging that Google Adwords phone support is no longer available due to the pandemic, he told me Google has not made them aware of this.
- I’ve been working with Google Adwords for nearly 15 years and I’ve never had a Google rep insist that I give them access to my computer
- Never give anyone remote access to your computer unless it’s through and official link or chat tool.
- Make sure any communication or call backs have been set up through some official online mechanism from Google
A Google Adwords rep calling should be comfortable with guiding you over the phone without needing or requesting remote access to your computer.
NOTE: The initial calls came from 734-973-5142 and ID said Google Inc. The 2nd set of calls came from 650-253-0000 spoofing caller ID to appear as Google Inc. as well. If you call the last number and go through menus you’ll get this message: “Google Phone Support Currently Unavailable”.