I’ve been helping a friend gain control of a domain name he acquired when he purchased a T-shirt brand earlier this year. We’ve been trying to get it transferred into his possession or control for nearly three weeks now. Interestingly many people don’t grasp the importance of maintaining or keeping control of their domain.
Trying to transfer a domain name away from a reseller account can take up to 7 days on each attempt and domain name transfers fail often oddly.
Here are some tips if you are considering the purchase of your first domain name or acquiring a website:
- If you are purchasing your first domain name, never have a friend or family member do it
- Make sure the domain is registered in your name and using an email address that is under your control
- Always safeguard your logins as if they were gold. Keep them safe, backed somewhere…not just saved in your email somewhere
- Always try to purchase your domain name through a major registrar such as GoDaddy, Namebargain, etc. There are a few exceptions where I recommend Network Solutions as they are over-priced at the moment.
- If you purchase your domain name through a reseller, make sure you are not limited in your ability to manage the domain name or move it. In the example above with my friend; His domain was registered through WIX a Network Solutions reseller, but they prevent him from fully managing his domain or editing DNS / Name Server entries.
If you buy a website and you don’t have full control of the registering email address, you don’t really have full ownership of your domain name.